Your insurance company recognizes that good policyholders
will have occasional claims. However, many policyholders are
unaware that a claim involving serious negligence or more than one
claim in a three (3) year period can be reasons for the insurance
company to terminate coverage. There are actions you can take to
- Inspect your roof for repair before the rainy season
- Check your washing machine and dishwasher hoses. Hoses
can deteriorate after a 5 year period
- If you have an automatic ice maker, check on it occasion
- Turn off the water supply prior to taking a prolonged
- Address plumbing problems before they cause major
- Providing obedience training for your dog(s) may help
prevent injury to others
- Consider installing an alarm system. Even a local alarm
system has the potential to discourage a possible intruder. You can
also receive a premium credit on your policy.
If the unthinkable happened and your home burned to the
ground, you would have to replace not just the house-but all of its
contents. Your life will be a lot easier if you've made a detailed
inventory of what's actually inside your home.
- Catalog the principal contents of each room, including the date
of purchase and purchase price. If you still have the sales
receipts, attach them to your list.
- Write down the serial numbers on major appliances, and engrave
an identification number-such as your social security or drivers
license number-on the bottom of televisions, stereos, and other
electronic equipment. Inexpensive engraving kits are available at
most hardware stores.
- It's wise to also photograph items or make a video of each
room. Don't forget the closets-replacing bulging wardrobes can be
- Keep the list, together with photographs and/or tapes, in a
safe place away from your home. Update it when you make major
purchases to your home.